Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thyroid Health Clinic

Last night my sister and I went to a `Thyroid Health' clinic put on by a naturopath. A few things I learned:

-just from being in the room with bright fluorescent lights, I had to wear sunglasses inside. So embarrassing. Fortunately people there probably understood. Another reason why working would be difficult.

-my thyroid hormones and meds are passed on to Koen through the breastmilk. I knew the PTU was and that is it the `safest' one to take while breastfeeding. I wish I knew more on what the high levels of T3 and T4 did for Koen and how much of an increase he got. Info out there is so confusing. I hope I did nothing to hurt him in any sense. I said I was starting to wean him and she mentioned how that will mess me up too....I need more info!!! I am trying to give him one whole milk bottle per day and wean very, very slowly. I really wonder if I had it during my pregnancy with Koen (my heart rate was quite high compared to my first), if so, there were def. risks there but he seems to be okay. Maybe I will get the doctor to check out his heart today and ask for a blood test for him? I need more information!

-during my period, I feel like I become hypo and she said it was likely due to the estrogen. So yes, that is why I am so tired, cold, and have brittle nails during that week each month.

-I need to eat goitrogens; soy, turnips/kale/broccoli, cabbage, peanuts, pine nuts, millet, sweet potatoes...

-she recommended bugleweed but that needs to be closely monitored by a naturopath

-I asked about eliminating dairy and wheat and she said no. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. She just said a healthy diet was most important.

-when she asked for some hyper symptoms (she already had a list of some), I couldn't come up with anything. How could I not come up with the symptoms I've been struggling with for 3 months?! My mind is so slow and forgetful.

Off to the doctor this morning....

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting evening you had! Good luck at the doc this morning!!

    p.s. Did you mean to have word verification on comments on this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully the doctor this morning will clear some things up for you. It must be frustrating to have mixed information ESPECIALLY when it affects Koen as well. You are doing a good job, Louise. You're in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete