Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The First Two Months

I just want to summarize the first two months of my hyperthyroidism.
It all started one evening when I felt like I was starting to get the flu. Every muscle in my body ached. From my feet to my eye sockets, every muscle felt sore. Over the next few days, I noticed that my heart rate was quite high (over 120 bpm while resting) and I felt short of breath. My hands were trembling. I was losing 1lb per day and eating 6 full meals. Something was wrong. I went to emergency but after waiting for 2 hours, I went home.
Gary, my husband, said that it sounded like I had hyperthyroidism as he recognized the symptoms because a friend of his had it back in university. I went to the doctor, had several blood tests (okay, maybe like 7 vials!) and finally, our suspicions were confirmed. I was put on beta blockers immediately but the symptoms were still quiet strong.
I was struggling with insomnia, being tired but having a lot of energy, anxiety type feelings, and the inability to even walk up the stairs. After several more weeks, I was given PTU (propylthyraci) which has stabilized me. I was/am on 3X50mg of PTU and 3X20mg of beta blockers (propranalol).
The initial thought was that I had post partum thyroiditis as I had my second son just 8 months before. However, in the last week, the results from my antibody test came back and I have Grave's Disease.
My body has stabilized. My weight fluctuates greatly (maybe up and down 7lbs a week), my trembling is in check, my sleep is okay. However, stress affects me greatly. Any kind of perceived stress makes me feel extremely anxious and all of my symptoms return very quickly. I have decided not to return to work (teaching) which will be `interesting' for our family financially.
Other symptoms that I had/have were; sweating (feeling warm), irritability, change in menstruation, hair loss, muscle weakness, tachycardia, poor memory and a general slow down mentally.
I am unable to do more than walk at this point. I am weak. I tried running for 5 minutes and my heart rate went up to 200bpm.
So, this is where I am, 2.5 months after recognizing that I had a problem. It is unknown what causes it but it can be triggered by emotional stress. My mom had passed away 3.5 years ago and my dad had been re diagnosed with bladder cancer and was getting remarried. I had two boys born via C-section. I guess that could've all contributed to the stress?
The plan is to be on my medication for 1.5 years and hope that I go into a long term remission. Who ever though that your thyroid was so important? Wow. So, that's kind of where I was and am at this point.
I plan on altering my diet completely to help control my symptoms. More on this to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment