Saturday, November 21, 2009

Eyes

One thing that I haven't given much thought to, until today, are my eyes. Sure, they have hurt since day one. Pressure behind my eyes, tenderness around it. I was under the impression that because I haven't developed any more serious symptoms with my eyes that it wouldn't get any worse. This is not the case...it can get worse.

Hormone imbalance can cause swelling behind the eyes, pushing the eyeball further out. In severe cases, it can compress the optic nerve, causing blindness.


Other symptoms include:

dry, irritated eyes
puffy eyelids
double vision (SOME)
light sensitivity (YES)
pressure or pain in the eyes (YES)
trouble moving the eyes

Taken from: http://endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/graves/
`About 25 percent of people with Graves’ disease develop GO (Graves' ophthalmopathy) which is usually of mild to moderate severity. This eye disorder usually lasts 1 to 2 years and often improves on its own. GO can occur before, at the same time as, or after other symptoms of hyperthyroidism develop and may even occur in people whose thyroid function is normal. GO is severe in 3 to 5 percent of people who have the disorder, and smoking makes GO worse.'


Here is a link to a video of Graves Disease on `The Dr's'. http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/procedure_list/814

Thankfully I only have a mild severity so far. Thankfully I do not smoke. Thankfully only 3-5% have severe effects. My prayer for today is that my eyes do not get worse and that instead, they will improve.

1 comment: