Monday, November 30, 2009

Breastfeeding

Some interesting info:
-thyroid problems can affect milk supply. This makes tons of sense as I never had a problem with supply (maybe just for one week in July-ish) because Koen was such a frequent eater. He is the one that kept my supply up. I always thought he ate more frequently (every 2.5 hours for 6 months in the day time and then moving to every 3 hours after 6 months of age and he's still at every 3 hours) because of his reflux but maybe it was because of low TRH, low TSH and therefore low prolactin.
-I'm on PTU, the safest antithryoid to take while breastfeeding HOWEVER, `A July, 2000 study in the journal Pediatrics, however, found that more than one-third of pediatricians and endocrinologists still advise against breastfeeding for those mothers taking PTU, despite some current journal research claiming it is safe.' Apparently it is essential that Koen be monitored every 3 months for his thyroid function but neither my doctor nor endocrinologist has suggested it. I am slowly weaning him right now though so hopefully all is well. I am on a moderate dose so ya, I would be so upset if I had somehow harmed him. However, formula was not an option as he was unable to keep it in his belly, so I had no choice. They suggest taking a small dose after each feeding for minimal transmission to baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment