Sunday, November 29, 2009

Risk Factors

So, according to `Living Well With Graves' Disease and Hyperthyroidism' these are the risk factors for Graves Disease. I will put a yes in brackets to those that apply to me, as far as I know.
1. Female (YES)
2. If you have other autoimmune or endocrine disorders (ex. lupus, diabetes)
3. 20-40 years old (YES)
4. family history (if female and have a close female relative with it, you have a 30-50% chance to carry the antibodies...doesn't mean you will get it, but you could)
5. pregnancy (YES...I was 8 months post partum when I recognized changes)
6. smoking (I smoked in the past so I'm not sure if that affected it)
7. nuclear exposure
8. seasonal allergies (YES...so interesting!)
9. gluten intolerance
10. on iodine drugs
11. getting drug treatments
12. heavy metals (ex. mercury)
13. aspartame
14. stress (increases Graves' EIGHTFOLD) (YES, YES, YES)
15. depression, anxiety, panic attacks (YES.....had some 2 years ago)
16. left handed, ambidextrous, premature grey hair

No comments:

Post a Comment