Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Latest Endocrinologist Visit

Saw my endo yesterday. She cut my PTU dosage in half again. I don't feel ready for it but oh well! I was originally on 150mg/day a year ago, now, I'm on jut 25mg/day. I have a feeling I will lose at least 5lbs this week due to the decrease in PTU. She couldn't explain my migraines, she said it could be the PTU (hence trying to get me off it) or just not being hydrated enough. Dehydration? I don't know, sounds like the easy answer.

We talked a lot about what to do if I accidentally get pregnant. Now, we are not planning on it at all but Gary has not had a vasectomy (I was trying to think of a cooler word for it...sorry) yet because we want to for sure have a third child and if it doesn't happen through adoption,we may try for a biological child. Apparently, my Graves' Disease would be less noticeable throughout pregnancy but would likely flare up afterwards. However, mine is a `strange case' so who knows what would actually happen. The greater concern is that my antibodies would cross to the fetus possibly causing neo natal Graves which would last 6 months (until all of my antibodies were out of him/her). The baby would be jittery, irritable, have a lower birth weight etc. It would likely feel how I did last year...wow, that is not good. The baby could be treated with very small doses of PTU and would be constantly monitored with blood tests.

We talked about my muscle weakness. She said that I likely lost a whole lot more muscle than I thought and it will take twice as long to gain it as it took to lose it. She did say, however, that I could return to `normal'. Hmmmmm...that would be freakin awesome. When I exercise, I hit a wall way faster than I ever did but she says it will get better and better. Slow and steady is not really my motto but I guess it is for me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment