Monday, October 4, 2010

Graves' Disease and Mitral Valve Prolapse

I was trying to figure out why I have such a hard time exercising with GD and also, why I get extreme headaches after doing so. I used to work out super hard and never get headaches like I've had the last 1.5 years. I know it could be attributed to dehydration but my urine isn't indicating that:)
I have other symptoms like my heart feels like it skips a beat, sleeplessness, sensitivity to caffeine, and chest pains. Well, a little research shows I may have mitral valve prolapse which is connected to autoimmune diseases like Graves' Disease. There's nothing I could do about it but if that is the case, it's good to know. I know doctors must hate self diagnosers but there is just so much info on the web now.
I see my endo at the end of the month so I will ask her about this. One of my doctors had detected a heart abnormality before but I did not take notice because they didn't seem concerned. I can't even remember what it was. I feel like my level of safe exercising is maybe running 3km. If I have a football game or run 5km, I have a headache that makes me want to vomit for about 12 hours. Not really worth it!!
Oh boy. Fun doesn't stop around here:)

1 comment:

  1. ...mitral valve prolapse, eh? What would your google sources define this as, and what then are the risks? As per Health Link BC http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/kbaltindex.asp (a reputable source - one of my favorites!), you are right - it is quite a common disorder, and having hyperthyroidism puts you at greater risk - but I don't know exactly where the headaches come into play with this? (or were the headaches just something else you noticed, with no link to the MVP?).

    ReplyDelete